Thursday, October 4, 2012

Can You Get Sick Or Die From Bad Cheese?


Molds that grow on cheese can range in color from white to green and can grow on all types of cheeses, from mozzarella to brie. Many people are under the misconception that since cheeses are produced from mold, then eating moldy cheese can’t hurt you. While it is true that mold does play a role in the production of some cheese curds, you should never eat mold that has grown on cheese unless it’s part of the cheese like Bleu cheese.

How Mold Grows On Cheese

Mold typically grows on cheeses and other foods due to a lack of proper storage process facilitated by moisture seeping in. For example, if you wrap a piece of room temperature cheddar cheese tightly in plastic wrap, the warmth of the cheese combined with the cool refrigerated air will cause condensation, or moisture, to form on the inside of the plastic wrap making it more susceptible to mold. When just one mold spore invades your piece of cheese, then it rapidly reproduces, causing more.

Cheese Produced With Mold

Some cheeses are produced using mold. Brie and Camembert, for example, are two soft cheese curds that have a rind produced from molding and the rinds are safe to eat. If you cut your Brie and the open, exposed part later grows mold that is a completely different process. Bacteria such as E.Coli and Salmonella often accompany molds that grow on cheeses after production, and those bacteria can kill you. Many Bleu cheeses have mold running throughout the entire piece, and those molds are safe to eat if the cheese has been properly contained and no additional mold has grown on it.

Bleu cheeses have a specific type of mold, such as the P. roqueforti spore used to make Roquefort Bleu cheese, so any other type of mold growing on the cheese can be harmful to your health. Many soft cheeses such as Mozzarella, Cottage or Riccota, should never be eaten if they have mold on them because mold is not used to produce them. Cheddar can have the mold cut off (about an inch into the cheese) and be safe.

Effects Of Eating Moldy Cheese

If you eat Mozzarella, cheddar, or any other cheese that mold has grown on, the effects could be anywhere from minimal to serious. Most of the time, the acids in the stomach will kill the mold spores, and you will suffer no ill effects. If your immune system is in a compromised state, however, then the effects of the mold could lead to some intestinal problems that typically aren’t more severe than mild cramping or diarrhea. It is the presence of bacteria along with the mold that causes the most serious problems, and there is no way to be sure that the moldy cheese curds you’ve eaten aren’t also teeming with bacteria.

12 comments:

  1. I have some blue mold growing on Mozzarella. I cut 98% of it off and the melted the rest in the microwave. I figure the heat would kill the bacteria. Then I refrigerated it. Have not eaten it yet; waiting for your opinion. Tks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't do it. lol. The microwave "heat" is not hot enough to kill the spores.

      Delete
    2. Don't melt and re-solidify cheese.

      Delete

  2. Health is one of the many aspect in our life that we should take good care because if we are sick , we became useless and unimportant. We loose hope and everything became stagnant. Visit my site for more information. Thanks.

    triciajoy.com

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good article, more comprehensive than the other sites offered. This is what I needed for common sense solutions to avoid wasting good food, yet feeling safe. Thank you for your knowledge, edification, and clarity. I feel reassured to consume carefully any cheese that has mold on it. Look before you leap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes but what about people with bipolar depression and in what form eaten. Like what about nachos? I eat cheese but am technically considered to have dairy allergies. Tho usually not to much

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know what you think about people with bipolar depression and eating cheese. Also I am technically considered dairy allergies but most times not to extreme and can be mild acid reflux gas mainly have. Just curious also is cheese on nachos melted a bad form of eating cheese

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you.
    My bf realised he ate a piece of moldy cheese and was flipping out thinking he was going to die, he ate a price and didn't realise it he said it tasted crappy, then when we came back after our nap, we discovered green mold.
    Also I don't know if its anything but he thinks that the Moldy cheese might have caused him to have a very unusual dream/nightmare, Do you think this could cause this?
    Just want to know...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you.
    My bf realised he ate a piece of moldy cheese and was flipping out thinking he was going to die, he ate a price and didn't realise it he said it tasted crappy, then when we came back after our nap, we discovered green mold.
    Also I don't know if its anything but he thinks that the Moldy cheese might have caused him to have a very unusual dream/nightmare, Do you think this could cause this?
    Just want to know...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ate moldy cheese and now I'm going to die. #Pray4Me

    ReplyDelete
  9. i accidentally ate 1 and a half pieces of moldy pepper jack cheese am I going to be OK? (Just a little side note I am a very healthy person I eat lots of fruits and veggies and exercise regularly.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had ready grated cheese that you buy from supermarkets. I was eating my sandwich then on the side of the late their was a black and blue bit of mouldy cheese. I ate half a sandwich and couldn't spot any more mould but not eating it to be on the safe side

    ReplyDelete

Cheesiest Posts